Domiciliary Care Allowance

This is a monthly allowance of €309.50 paid by the Department of Social Protection to the parents or carers of a child with a profound disability, who lives at home. The allowance is payable in respect of children up to the age of 16 years who, due to their disability, would require substantially more care and supervision than another child of the same age. At 16 years, your child can apply for a Disability Allowance.

Application forms and further information are available on www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/1078_Domiciliary-Care-Allowance.aspx

Carer’s Benefit

Carer’s Benefit is a payment made to insured people who leave the workforce to care for a person(s) in need of full-time care and attention.

It is based on PRSI contributions and is €210 per week. You can get Carer’s Benefit for a total of 104 weeks for each person being cared for.

To Apply: Fill in an application form for Carer’s Benefit, This form (CARB1)CARB1 pdf is also available from your local Intreo centre or social welfare office.

Parts 1, 2, 3 ,5, 6, 7 and 8 should be completed by you. Part 4 should be completed, signed and stamped by your employer. Part 10 should be completed by the person(s) receiving care from you and his/her doctor should complete, sign and stamp the Medical Report.

If you are applying for Carer’s Benefit for a second person you should use the application form CARB2 CARB2-pdf

Carer’s Allowance

Carer’s Allowance is a means tested payment to people on low incomes who are looking after a person who needs support due to disability.

If you quality for a Carer’s Allowance you may also quality for free household benefits (if you are living with the person you are caring for) and a Free Travel Pass (to travel with the person being cared for).  Carer’s Allowance is not taken into account in the assessment for a medical card.  Carer’s Allowance is means tested so the payment varies from person to person depending on your personal circumstances; please refer to the following website for more information www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/ca.aspx

To Apply: Fill in an application form for Carer’s Allowance (CR1) CR1-pdf  The form includes a medical report which must be signed by the person receiving care and completed by his or her doctor (a medical report is not necessary if you are caring for a child getting Domiciliary Care Allowance).  You also fill in a CR2 form CR2-pdf if you are caring for more than one person. You can contact your social welfare local office or Citizens Information Service for the form.


Carers Support Grant (Formerly called Respite Care Grant)

The Carer’s Support Grant is an annual payment made to carers by the Department of Social Protection. The scheme name was changed in 2016 to better reflect how the Grant is used by carers.  It is paid yearly in June automatically to carer’s receiving Carer’s Allowance, Carer’s Benefit or Domicilary Care Allowance.  Only one Carer’s Support Grant can be paid for each person getting care.


Incapacitated Child Tax Credit

There is an additional tax credit of €3,300 that can be claimed by a parent or guardian of child who has permanent vision impairment. The disability must have arisen before the child reached the age of 21 or after 21 years while the child is still in full-time education or training for a trade or profession for a minimum of 2 years.

Apply to: Inspector of Taxes, Office of the Revenue Commissioners.


Free Travel Companion Pass

With this pass your child is allowed to travel free (alone or accompanied by one other person over the age of 16) on Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann and Iarnrod Eireann services. Your child is entitled to claim this pass from birth and must be officially registered with the NCBI. Proof of registration must accompany each application.

Apply to: The Free Travel Section, Dept. of Social, Community and Family Affairs, College Road, Sligo. Tel: (01) 874 8444 or (071) 915 7100.

Disabled Person’s Parking Card

You may apply for a parking card for your child, which can be used in any vehicle in which the child travels. The card allows the vehicle to be parked in designated disabled parking spaces, disc parking areas and parking meters for an unrestricted length of time and without incurring any fee. Your child must be aged five years or over to receive a disabled persons parking card.  To recieve this parking card proof of registration with the NCBI will be required with the application.

Apply to: The Disabled Drivers Association, Ballindine, Co. Mayo. Tel: (094) 936 4266 or NCBI community welfare officer.



Disability Allowance

This is a weekly allowance to which your child may become eligible between 16 and 18 years.

Apply to: The Disability Allowance Section, Department of Social Protection, Ballinalee Road, Longford, Tel: 01 704 3948 or 043 45211.


Blind Persons’ Pension

This is a sum paid to people registered as vision impaired over the age of 18.  This payment is subject to a means test.  Means are considered to be any income that your child may have or property or assets in their name, which could provide an income.

To claim the Blind Person’s Pension, you should make a claim four months before your childs 18th birthday.

Blind Pension maximum weekly rates in 2016 and up to 17 March 2017

Blind Pension Weekly Rate (Maximum) €
Personal rate 188.00
Increase for a Qualified Adult 124.80
Increase for a Qualified Child 29.80 (full rate), 14.90 (half rate)


Blind Pension maximum weekly rates from 17 March 2017

Blind Pension Weekly Rate (Maximum) €
Personal rate 193.00
Increase for a Qualified Adult 128.10
Increase for a Qualified Child 29.80 (full rate), 14.90 (half rate)


Apply to:
Application forms are available from Post Offices, the Pension Services Office, College Road, Sligo, Tel: 01 874 8444 or 071 69800 or from the National Council for the Blind of Ireland, Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9, Tel: 1850 334353 or 01 830 7033

Blind Welfare Allowance

This is an allowance to which your child may be entitled if they are already in receipt of the Blind Person’s Pension. It is a means tested allowance paid by the Health Board. A small allowance may be payable if your child is between the ages of 16 and 18 and currently receiving Disability Allowance.

Apply to:
The Director of Community Care in your local Health Board or the National Council for the Blind of Ireland, Whitworth Road, Drumcondra, Dublin 9, Tel: 1850 334353 or 01 830 7033

Technical Aids for School

Technical aids e.g. Computer equipment, software and CCTV (close circuit television) etc. are supplied by the Department of Education and Skills.  The equipment remains in school and is the property of the Dept. of Education and Skills. However, the child continues to have the use of the equipment throughout the child’s education, both primary & secondary schools. Any requests for such equipment are best handled through your visiting teacher.
The Department can also approve 20 hours typing lessons available for the child.
Special needs assistants are available to help in school and again contact your visiting teacher

Technical Aids for Home

The Department of Health provides technical aids for home use. Applicants under the Technical Aids Grant (TAG) Scheme should complete an application form, available from NCBI Head Office, tel 01 830 7033, or Community Resource Workers.
The form will subsequently be forwarded to the persons relevant Health Board and placed on a waiting list.