Incapacitated Child Tax Credit, is available in respect of a child who is under 18 years of age and permanently incapacitated physically or mentally or over 18 years of age and unable to maintain themselves. Where the child is over 18 years of age, he or she must have become permanently incapacitated: before turning 21 years of age or while in full-time education or training for a trade or profession. This training must last for at least two years. For the purposes of this credit, ‘maintain’ means the ability to support themselves by earning a living from working. You will need to get a certified Form ICC2 from the child’s Medical Practitioner.

Home Carer Tax Credit To claim the Home Carer Tax Credit you must care for a dependent person. You must also be married or in a civil partnership and be jointly assessed for Income Tax (IT). The dependent person you care for must be either:

a child for whom you receive the child benefit payment from the Department of Social Protection (DSP)


a person who is permanently incapacitated due to mental or physical disability.

School Transport for Disabled Children You should apply to the school principal who will contact the school’s Special Educational Needs Organiser (SENO) about applying for special transport. If the SENO is satisfied that your child is enrolled in the nearest suitable school, and that school transport is required, a recommendation will be sent to the School Transport Section of the Department of Education.

Applications for Special Transport Grant (pdf) may also be forwarded to the School Transport Section through the SENO, prior to your child’s enrolment in school. If grant aid is sanctioned, applications for payment of the grant should include a completed Statement of Attendance form. Applications may be made at the end of the school year by the parent or guardian of the child to the School Transport Section.

Domiciliary Care Allowance (DCA) is a monthly payment for a child aged under 16 with a severe disability. The child must need ongoing care and attention substantially over and above that usually needed by a child of the same age. It is not means tested. To apply, fill in a Domiciliary Care Allowance form (pdf). You can also get an application form by texting “FORM DCA” followed by your name and address to 51909 (standard text rates apply) or by dropping into your Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office or local Citizens Information Service. You should complete Parts 1 to 5 of the form. Please ask your child’s GP/specialist to fill in parts 6 and 7 (the medical section) of the form. You should also attach any reports or other information you have about your child’s disability and the impact it has on their care needs

Carer’s Support Grant (linked to DCA) The Carer’s Support Grant is paid to carers once a year by the Department of Social Protection (DSP). It used to be called the Respite Care Grant.

Medical Card If your child qualifies for DCA they qualify for a medical card also

Carer’s Benefit, To get Carer’s Benefit you must be under 66 and have enough social insurance (PRSI) contributions. You can get Carer’s Benefit for 2 years (104 weeks) for each person that you are caring for. You can take the 104 weeks all together or any number of separate weeks up to a total of 104 weeks. To apply fill in an application form for Carer’s Benefit (pdf). You can get this form (CARB1) from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office or from the Carer’s Benefit Section – see ‘Where to apply’ below. The Department of Social Protection recommends that you apply for Carer’s Benefit 10 weeks before you leave employment, if possible. Parts 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 and 8 of the Carer’s Benefit form should be completed by you. Part 4 should be completed, signed and stamped by your employer. Part 10 should be completed by the person getting care from you and their doctor should complete, sign and stamp the Medical Report.

Carer’s Allowance is a weekly social welfare payment to people who are caring for a person who needs support because of their age, disability or illness (including mental illness). Your income must be below a certain amount to get Carer’s Allowance – see ‘How your income is assessed for Carer’s Allowance’ below. To apply, fill in an application form for Carer’s Allowance (CR1) (pdf). You can get this form (CR1) from your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office or Citizens Information Centre. The final part of the Carer’s Allowance application form (Part 10) is a Care Report. It includes a medical report which must be signed by the person you are caring for and by their doctor.

Free Travel Pass Your child may be entitled to a Companion Free Travel Pass. With this pass they can travel free, alone or accompanied by one other person over the age of 16, on all public transport owned by the State. This includes bus, rail and Dublin’s LUAS with some exceptions. https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/ba6e26-operational-guidelines-free-travel-scheme/?fbclid=IwAR08_Ea2S1ixS5ac7TrbR4i4WlaWYVSkoEXHYxgy7lsoKzwisLdFUWX4uxs#application-guidelines

Housing Adaptation Grants The grant can help you to make changes and adaptations to your home, Further information is available from your local authority

SEAI grants Energy upgrades are available to those who receive certain social welfare payments https://www.seai.ie/grants/home-energy-grants/free-upgrades-for-eligible-homes/

Disability Parking Card Irish Wheelchair Association provide the card with Vision Ireland also signing the form https://www.iwa.ie/services/motoring/disabled-parking-permits/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw852XBhC6ARIsAJsFPN1TxYpjs8nE_sxhFb6KAlJYX1zKO3xhPC0nzOaOmaU0uIRoLgyH4MsaAj9REALw_wcB

Vision Ireland & ChildVision provide 1 free white cane a year

Help with the cost of glasses All children under 12 are guaranteed 51€ reduction on the cost of glasses. Your optician will claim this on your behalf using the LOA/2 form from the HSE

High index discount – If your child under 12 has a very high prescription +/-6 or needs specialised lenses you might be entitled to a 50% discount. Your optician needs to send an LOA/2 form, plus the prescription, plus a cover letter (template of which is available from HSE or Féach) to the local HSE optical department

Technical Aids Grant The Technical Aids Grant, operated by the HSE, is available to pay for the cost of assistive technology that you need for use at home in your everyday life. However, funding for the Technical Aids Grant is fragmented and you should ask your local Vision Ireland staff about whether funding has been allocated in the area that you live.

Blind pension – apply 4 months before turning 18

Disability allowance – 16-18 years old

Blind welfare allowance – 18+

Fund for students with Disabilities (FSD) 3rd level is to assist higher education institutions in ensuring students with disabilities have the necessary assistance and equipment to enable them access, fully participate in and successfully complete their chosen course of study. It also supports students from Ireland to study on approved courses in other EU countries and in the UK. https://hea.ie/funding-governance-performance/funding/student-finance/fund-for-students-with-disabilities/

Medical expenses can be claimed back on Med1 form

You may reclaim Value-Added Tax (VAT) on certain aids, appliances and housing adaptations for use by persons with disabilities. The relief applies to VAT on the purchase of aids and appliances designed to assist persons with disabilities.

Fantastic list of all entitlements for Blind/VI Adults and Children

Government Entitlements – Vision Ireland